Degree Programs: Dual Degree
This is a cooperative program sponsored by the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences and the College of Physicians and Surgeons for students who have had a strong undergraduate program in science and have a strong commitment to biomedical research. The program allows students to work toward the Ph.D. degree in addition to earning the M.D. degree.
Students who participate in the program are admitted to the College of Physicians and Surgeons and to the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.
Students complete the basic science requirements of the medical program and enter a participating department or interdisciplinary program of the Graduate School to carry out the Ph.D. program. They then complete the balance of the requirements for the M.D. degree. The participating Ph.D. programs include:
• Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics
• Biological Sciences
• Biomedical Informatics (formerly Medical Informatics)
• Cell Biology and Pathobiology in the Department of Pathology and Cell Biology
• Genetics and Development
• Integrated Program in Cellular, Molecular, and Biophysical Studies
• Neurobiology and Behavior
• Physiology and Cellular Biophysics