Funds for Travel to Conferences
The Award: The Conference Matching Travel Fund helps doctoral candidates present in major national or international professional conferences, or D.M.A. candidates travel to attend first performances of original musical compositions. The award may be used to cover registration, travel, and lodging expenses associated with presenting at a significant academic conference. Please note that this award does not cover participation in graduate student conferences and that students may not apply for support for conferences that take place during the summer between their first and second years. GSAS will contribute a maximum of $250, and requires that departments at least match that amount with their funds after a review of the worthiness of the proposal submitted and the significance of the conference in which the presentation will be delivered.
There is a limit of one travel award per academic year, and a maximum of two awards during a student's career at Columbia. The award is not guaranteed, and requests are considered on a first-come, first-served basis. If applications exceed available funds, students who have not received an award in previous years will have priority over those who have.
- Applicants must be students in an Arts and Sciences doctoral program.
- Applicants must be in good standing.
- Applicants must be in years two through seven (six if granted advanced standing) since first registration in GSAS.
Deadlines: Conference Matching Travel Awards are awarded three times per year, with the following deadlines for receipt of the travel application:
3 July: For conferences held May-August
3 November: For conferences held September-December
3 March: For conferences held January-April.
Application process: Completed application forms (.pdf) should be submitted to the department's ADA or business officer. The form should be accompanied by 1) a copy of the invitation to participate or of the relevant page in the conference's program; and 2) a realistic budget estimate for expenses that will be incurred. If the conference has already taken place, the application should be submitted with copies of original receipts. The Chair or DGS must endorse the application by signing the cover sheet.
Please bring completed application forms to Craig Knobles in 107 Low.
Instructions for reimbursement:
Upon returning from the travel, students who have received a matching travel grant must:
- Download and complete the upper portion of the Travel and Business Expense Report [downloadable Excel file], noting "Graduate Student" next to the student's name.
- Include a complete explanation of the business purpose for the trip (for example, "travel to deliver paper at Name of Conference in City from date to date").
- Tape the original receipts to an 8 1/2" x 11" piece of paper. Use as many sheets of paper as necessary.
- Provide evidence of participation in the conference such as a copy of the program which shows the student's name and title of the paper delivered.
- Sign and submit the form along with all the supporting materials to the department's ADA or business officer.
Departments should indicate both their account number and share of the travel grant funding in the first line of the accounting section at the bottom of the form. Please forward the completed forms to the Office of the Dean, 109 Low Memorial Library, MC 4306 for processing.