The Partnership Ph.D. Mobility Program is a funded exchange program that allows Columbia Ph.D. students in Arts and Sciences programs to conduct research at the London School of Economics, National University of Singapore, or Sciences Po Paris.
Each exchange will be limited to a 2-3 month time period. Columbia will fund up to two exchanges at each of the other three partner institutions per year; the funding will be in addition to any other support that the student may have already received. In addition, Columbia will issue a flat rate bursary of $2,500 to help with living expenses and travel to any of the other three partner institutions.
Program objectives include the following:
- To offer Columbia Ph.D. students additional research resources (archival and advisory), and to introduce them to the academic culture, professional contacts, and employment opportunities of another country;
- To offer Columbia Ph.D. students an opportunity to visit another institution and to work informally with one or more advisors on their Ph.D. research and/or on related publications and presentations, and to attend conferences and workshops both at the host institution and within the wider regional/national academic community;
- To further enhance links between the partner institutions.
How to Apply
A complete application consists of the following materials:
- A one-page single-spaced statement of academic purpose explaining their progress towards completion of their research, why a visit to the host partner institution would benefit them and what they intend to do there; outlining a time-table for their work during the visit; and indicating the scholar(s) with whom they hope to work.
- A short letter of support from their Columbia Ph.D. supervisor(s).
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae including visa status, country of citizenship, place and date of birth.
- Evidence of competence in written and spoken languages that might be necessary at the host institution.
Columbia Ph.D. students should submit their application for travel/study no later than three months before the start of travel. The application should be marked “Partnership Ph.D. Mobility Program Application” and either 1) emailed to Andrea Solomon, Vice Dean and Dean of Academic Affairs, at email@example.com, or 2) mailed/delivered to the following address:
Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, Columbia University
109 Low Library, MC 4306
535 West 116th Street
New York, NY 10027