GSAS is pleased to offer Summer Tuition Credit to incoming and continuing Ph.D. students. Doctoral students in Arts and Sciences programs who have been awarded departmental fellowships in the Fall term may receive a tuition fellowship to cover courses taken during the Summer Session immediately prior. Please note that this is a tuition credit only; students are responsible for all fees charged during the summer session. Students may register for a maximum of 8 points during the summer session.
The Summer Tuition Credit is subject to the following conditions. Students who do not meet all of these conditions will be liable for the summer tuition charged without exception.
- All courses must be required for the completion of a Graduate School of Arts and Sciences degree and taken for credit. Language courses may be taken if required for the completion of the degree.
- All courses must be offered within the School of Professional Studies Summer Session program or summer programs offered through the Office of Global Programs (OGP). For OGP programs that charge a comprehensive fee that includes tuition, housing or other expenses, GSAS will only cover that portion of the fee that is for tuition. Courses in other divisions of the University will not be covered.
- Students must complete all courses covered by the Summer Tuition Credit. The Graduate School will not cover courses dropped after the full-tuition refund date set by the Office of the Registrar for the session in which the courses are taken.
- Students must obtain approval for all summer coursework from their department and the Office of Financial Aid.
- Students must register for a full Residence Unit (RU), Extended Residence (ER), or Matriculation and Facilities (M&F) in the following fall term. Students who take a leave of absence in the fall are not eligible for the Summer Tuition Credit.
The Office of Financial Aid will apply the tuition credit to student accounts at the beginning of the second summer session and will reverse any accrued late fees that result from the timing of this disbursement. If late pay charges from summer tuition remain on your account at the start of the following fall term, please contact the Office of Financial Aid.
Students wishing to apply for the Summer Tuition Credit should complete this application form (PDF) and submit it to their academic department for approval. Completed application should be forwarded to the Office of Financial Aid in 107 Low Memorial Library. Any course changes made after the application is sent to the Office of Financial Aid must be submitted to that office in writing.