Directors of Graduate Studies should ensure that their departmental websites clearly communicate their departments' academic requirements for students, including:
- the total minimum number of credits and the total number of courses (both specifically-required and elective) required for the degree
- course numbers and titles of all specifically-required courses
- whether P/F courses count toward the degree, and if so, the limit (if any)
- whether R courses count toward the degree, and if so, the limit (if any)
- the specific rules for good academic standing.
GSAS also recommends that departments post their student handbooks in PDF format online, and keep them updated as new editions appear.