Meet with a career advisor to discuss your career goals, review your job search materials, or prepare for an upcoming interview. Our office's guidelines and policies will help you get the most out of your career advising appointment, and also ensure that we can serve as many students and recent alumni as possible.
If you are applying to faculty positions, postdoctoral opportunities, or PhD programs, please note that the best resource for advice is your academic advisor, dissertation sponsor and/or your department.
Office Policies (PLEASE READ)
Eligibility (Fall 2021)
- Current MA, PhD, and DMA students from these Arts and Sciences programs, as well as recent graduates whose degrees were conferred in 2020 and 2021, may schedule one-on-one career advising appointments. Incoming students starting at Columbia in Fall 2021 may begin booking appointments on September 7, 2021.
- If you received your degree from GSAS in 2019 or earlier, you may attend GSAS Compass workshops and events. Please refer to the Columbia Alumni Association for additional career resources for alumni.
- Eligible students and alumni may schedule up to three career counseling appointments per semester, with at least two weeks between appointments. Please note that you may not have more than one appointment in a two-week period. If you book additional appointments they will be cancelled.
Cancellation and rescheduling
- If you need to cancel or reschedule your appointment, you must do so at least 24 hours in advance. If you cancel or reschedule with less than 24 hours’ notice, you will be considered a no-show.
- If you arrive more than 15 minutes late for your scheduled appointment, you will be considered a no-show.
- If you are a no-show for two appointments in one semester, you will lose access to career advising appointments for the remainder of the semester.
Career advising appointments are private but not always confidential. As employees of the University, we have a duty to report certain types of information and incidents.
Want to learn more about what to expect in a career advising appointment? Please click the two dropdowns below.