The Graduate School offers admission with the expectation that students will matriculate in the semester specified during the application process. If extraordinary circumstances will prevent you from matriculating, you may submit a request to defer your enrollment for up to one calendar year.
- Deferral requests are not automatically granted and will be evaluated by the GSAS Office of Admissions.
- PhD applicants may request a deferral via the Fellowship Response Form.
- MA applicants may request a deferral only after accepting the original offer of admission and submitting the appropriate tuition deposit.
- Applicants admitted from a summer waitlist are not eligible for deferrals.
The tuition deposit for the following programs is $2,000:
- MA in East Asia: Regional Studies
- MA in Economics
- MA in Islamic Studies
- MA in Medieval and Renaissance Studies
- MA in QMSS
- MA in Sociology
The tuition deposit for the following programs is $3,500:
- MA in Biotechnology
- MA in Mathematics of Finance
- MA in Modern Art: Critical and Curatorial Studies
- MA in Statistics
- MA in Statistics (Hybrid Online/On-Campus Program)
The tuition deposit for all other MA programs is $1,000.
After the deposit is paid, a Deferral Request Form will be available on the Applicant Status Page. The deadlines for submission of the Deferral Request Form are August 15 for fall term applicants and December 30 for spring term applicants. Deferral requests will not be considered after these dates. Applicants whose deferral request is approved will be required to submit an additional tuition deposit to accept the new offer of admission in the following year. Both tuition deposit payments will appear on the student's account as credits toward tuition.
You will be notified about the disposition of your deferral request via email.
Please contact gsas-admissions [at] columbia.edu with any questions.