The Graduate School offers admission with the expectation that students will matriculate in the semester specified during the application process. If extraordinary circumstances will prevent you from matriculating, you may submit a request to defer your enrollment for up to one calendar year.
- Deferral requests are not automatically granted; they must be evaluated and approved by the department and by the GSAS Office of Admissions.
- For all applicants, the deadlines for submission of deferral requests are August 15 for fall-term applicants and December 30 for spring-term applicants. Deferral requests will not be considered after these dates.
- PhD applicants may request a deferral via the Fellowship Response Form, which is available on the Application Status Page.
- MA applicants may request a deferral only after accepting the original offer of admission by submitting the appropriate tuition deposit and the credential-verification forms. A Deferral Request Form will then become available on the Application Status Page.
- An MA applicant whose deferral request is approved will be required to submit an additional tuition deposit to accept the new offer of admission in the following year. Both tuition deposit payments will appear on the student's account as credits toward tuition. Students will be notified about the disposition of their deferral request via email.
- Applicants admitted from a summer waitlist are not eligible for deferrals.
Tuition deposits vary by program. Most MA programs require a $1,000 deposit.
Exceptions are noted below:
The following programs require a $2,000 tuition deposit:
- MA in Climate and Society
- MA in Islamic Studies
- MA in Medieval and Renaissance Studies
- MA in Quantitative Methods in the Social Sciences
- MA in Sociology
The following programs require a $3,500 tuition deposit:
- MA in Biotechnology
- MA in Modern Art: Critical and Curatorial Studies
The following programs require a $5,000 tuition deposit:
- MA in Economics
- MA in Mathematics with a specialization in the Mathematics of Finance
- MA in Statistics
- MA in Statistics (Hybrid Online/On-Campus Program)
Please contact gsas-admissions [at] columbia.edu with any questions.