Instructions for Submission of Transcripts When Applying
Applicants should upload a transcript or record (e.g., web-based transcripts, mark sheets, relevé de notes) of any academic work from each university-level institution you have attended for use in review of your application.
Applicants to the Sustainable Development and Climate and Society programs must upload a separate listing of specific courses.
Uploading Your Transcript to the Online Application System
Transcripts should be uploaded on the Educational History page of the online application. Transcripts should not be combined into one document; they should be uploaded as individual documents.
Follow these guidelines to ensure that you are able to upload your transcript:
- Scan at the lowest DPI that results in a legible document. (We recommend to use under 300 DPI whenever possible.)
- Ensure that the institution name and other identifying marks are not missed during the scanning process and that your scanned copy is clearly legible and can print on letter-size paper (8 ½" x 11").
- Include the transcript legend (found on the back page, in most cases).
- Save your document as a PDF file.
- Make certain that its size is less than 2000 KB (2 MB). Scanning in grayscale or black and white may produce the best results.
- If the scanned file is too large, first make a photocopy (experimenting with different settings until you find one that results in the smallest file size), then scan the photocopy.
- You may upload an institutional web-based transcript/academic record.
Instructions for Submission of Transcripts When Accepting an Offer of Admission
Students who have attended schools in the US:
Please submit electronic transcripts directly from your school or via the vendor that provides that service for your institution to gsas-credentials [at] columbia.edu.
If a school does not offer electronic delivery, you must write to gsas-admissions [at] columbia.edu to provide us with the link to your institution's webpage concerning transcript orders. After verification, we will respond with further instructions.
Note: If a school’s transcript is not printed in English, please ensure that an English translation is submitted along with the secure electronic transcript in the original language. If this transcript and translation cannot be submitted electronically, please contact World Education Services (WES) and order a Course-by-Course Evaluation and an International Credential Advantage Package to be sent to gsas-credentials [at] columbia.edu.
Students attending Chinese institutions:
You are required to contact CHESICC to arrange submission of a “Verification Report of China Higher Education Student's Academic Transcript” and a “Verification Report of China Higher Education Qualification Certificate” (for those earning a degree in China) to gsas-credentials [at] columbia.edu.
All other students who have attended an international university:
If your school offers secure online delivery, please submit an electronic transcript to gsas-credentials [at] columbia.edu.
If the transcript is not printed in English, please have the English translation submitted electronically as well. The transcript and translation must be sent together, directly from your school, to gsas-credentials [at] columbia.edu.
If the school cannot send transcripts electronically via a secure, password-protected system, or if a required translation cannot be submitted directly from your institution, you must contact World Education Services (WES) and order a Course-by-Course Evaluation and an International Credential Advantage Package to be sent to gsas-credentials [at] columbia.edu.