GSAS Writing Studio consultants will support the dissertation-writing work of their fellow graduate students in several ways: by facilitating peer groups and leading workshops; and meeting with writers in one-on-one draft conferences. Consultants will receive formal training and will work closely with the Director of the GSAS Writing Studio. Rather than editing or correcting, consultants will support writers by listening, helping them to clarify and articulate ideas, and offering concrete drafting and revision strategies drawn from the consultant’s own writing experience as well as from staff-development trainings.
Consultants will be paid $25 per hour, and typically will work five to ten hours per week. (Please note the time limits associated with specific doctoral student fellowships.)
- a strong interest in writing
- an interest in talking about writing (their own and others')
- knowledge about the conventions of academic writing
- confidence with facilitating group discussions
- excellent command of written English
- willingness to be creative and flexible
- engaged and empathetic demeanor
- ability to commit to regular peer-group meetings
- ability to attend an orientation meeting as well as regular staff development sessions
To Apply: Please send a CV, a cover letter expressing your interest in working with graduate writers, and a writing sample of 15-25 pages to gsas-writingstudio [at] columbia.edu by October 1. After this date, applications will be reviewed as they are received.