Doctoral students in GSAS do not register for, and do not earn, Residence Unit credit during the summer. For summer courses, GSAS awards Summer Tuition Credit to incoming and continuing doctoral students in the Arts and Sciences who hold departmental fellowships for the following fall term.
Students applying for the Summer Tuition Credit should complete the application form and submit it to their academic department for approval. Completed applications should be forwarded to the Office of Financial Aid in 107 Low Library. Any course changes made after the application is sent to the Office of Financial Aid must be submitted to that office in writing.
Please note the following policies regarding Summer Tuition Credit:
- Students may be awarded up to eight points of Summer Tuition Credit. All courses must be required for the completion of a Graduate School of Arts and Sciences degree and taken for credit. Language courses may be taken if required for the completion of the degree.
- Students must obtain approval from their department and the Office of Financial Aid.
- Summer Tuition Credit includes tuition for courses offered through SPS plus any fees normally covered by a multiyear fellowship.
- Students are responsible for tuition for courses offered by other schools at Columbia and for all fees that are not covered by a multi-year fellowship.
- Students must complete all courses for which they receive Summer Tuition Credit. After tuition credit has been awarded, students are responsible for tuition and fees if they drop courses after the full-tuition refund deadline set by the Office of the Registrar for the session in which the courses are taken.
- Students must register in a full-time registration category in the following fall semester. Students who take a leave of absence in the fall will be billed for the full amount of the Summer Tuition Credit they previously received.